Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Auntie Em Auntie Em..."

Yea, it was that windy today. Gusts upwards of 40 mph I think. Temps in the morning were 58, on the way home was even less, 55. Hu... I just tried to figure out the wind chill for the way home, the Weather Channel says it cannot calculate for temps over 40, that's odd. Well, I'm no weatherman but it sure felt cold. My ears were getting quite a chill which does not help given the fact that I still cannot hear 100% out of my right ear. I'm on the end of a few weeks of being sick- sinus infection said the doctor. Seems like everyone I know has caught this bug.

Now that the temps are a' changin I've been quite consumed by the thought of riding once the snow hits. Mind you, I've only been commuting since April so this will be my first winter of riding my bike. I have fond memories of riding in the winter while a kid. We used to pop the front wheel up and firmly plant it into a snowbank, launching us over the handlebars and into the snow. I'll try not to have that happen this winter :o)

As I look forward to the shorter and colder days I'm preparing a mental list of stuff I need to buy. Topping the list right now is a nice light set. I'm thinking the Cateye TL-LD1000 for the rear and probably the HL-EL530 for the front. If anyone has an opinion on these or others please let me know. I'm also going to need some new tires (I have the nice road tires with the knobies on the side only) and for sure some fenders. I plan to make my own studded tires for when it gets really icky out there, I figure I have a couple of months yet (knock on wood) before I need them.

One last item. I called the parking garage right next to my building and asked them if I could park my bike there in the winter- they said sure! I was quite happy because I didn't know what I was going to do with a snow/dirt/sand covered bike in my office... If you ride in the winter- where do you keep your bike at work?
Peace!
Jeff

No comments: