Thursday, September 20, 2007

DIY Light- I think so!

Riding update: well, there hasn't been much riding. Today I rode to work, but not home. I've been so insainly busy at work I haven't been able to spare even 15 extra minutes. I would work at home remotely, then get a ride w/ my wife on her way to class, then she would pick me up later. Anyhow, our project is finally back to a somewhat normal status, so riding can commence once again.

With all the night riding I've had to do lately, I've been looking at headlights a lot. I've stopped at both LBS's I shop at and haven't been impressed with either's selection of lighting. Either the lights seem dim compared to my UK Sunlight SL6 Dive light (8 watt 201 lumens xenon lamp) (40$) which their site says can be used just fine out of the water, or they cost 300$ or more. I figured I'd find something better or build a mount for the SL6.

So next I looked online for DIY headlights and found many many differnt setups but one in particular looked quite nice, and super cheep.

First off, I want to let you know about the cool site which I just found, "Instructables.Com" which provides instruction for how to make just about anything it seems. Quite nice, but their ads slow their site down which is slightly annoying, but none-the-less I found this--> "BIKE LIGHT 500 Lumen "Mt.Bike" for under 10 bucks". 500 lumens for under 10 bucks- now that's just what I'm talkin' about!

It uses a common halogen bulb among the DIY lights I've seen, the "MR16". The expensive part is the power system: batteries. However, I've got a spare 14.4 v drill battery which will work just fine! So, as soon as I can get to Home Depot and batteries plus and that light store down there too (can't think of the name) for the parts, I'll be set!

I'll be sure to take pictures of the build and resulting light when I get to it. I wanted to this weekend but Saturday is the "Lester Park Rendezvous" which we'll be going to (I'm working @ noon there for the Police Reserves, so look for me if you go) and I also promised my daughter we'd try to fly kites and use my free passes to the Omnimax- so, we'll see what I get done.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Jeff

1 comment:

Doug said...

I'm interested in seeing how the light turns out. Kevin Kinney of Vulpine Adaptive was telling me he made his own headlight.