Friday, September 14, 2007

A scary ride home

Yes, tonight was probably one of the scariest rides I've ever had. It started out quite pleasant. I had to work late again, so I left a little after 7. Got to the lakewalk and thought about riding out to the lighthouse to take some pictures but decided I should get home to the family. Riding was nice, there was no wind and very few people out that late... Well, until I got to Leif Erickson Park... Today was Friday night, and on Friday nights in Leif Erickson Park they have "Movies in the park". (I've not gone to a movie there yet, but really wanted to... Maybe next summer!) I remember my wife telling me about it, but I didn't recall what movie it was going to be. I was guessing Lord of the Rings, and yup, that's what it was. Again, I thought about taking some pictures and staying to watch some of it but needed to get home plus I had about 15 minutes to sit and wait and it was pretty chilly (47 or so).

So, I continued on down the lakewalk. I couldn't believe how many rabbits I seen tonight, there must have been close to 50 along the way. So, this is where it gets scary... I again thought about stopping to take some pictures of the rabbits, even slowing down while contemplating the thought, when it happened... I came around the corner by the steps behind Perkins and there it was, about 10 feet off the path... Yup, a skunk... He looked at me like "hu... wa? what the heck is that yellow thing coming at me??? Run away, run away"... He turned tail and I was like, "oh crap, here it comes..." but with tail held high, he ran off into the brush.

I think I'll take my chances with traffic on Superior St. from now on when it's past dusk; the wildlife out there is crazy!

About two weeks ago, on my way into work I was almost hit by a young deer. I had just stopped out get something out of my bag and was just barely going again when I heard some really funny sounds on the pavement to my left, coming towards me. I looked and seen a deer darting right at me. I locked up the brakes, as did the driver in the lane next to me, and just missed being hit by about 2 feet. I looked at the driver in the car, he looked at me, and we both laughed. :o) Come to think of it though, I'd hate to get hit by someone swerving to the right for a deer, glad that guy was paying attention.

On another note, I stopped by the other bike shop today- the one I don't like as much as the other one, to check out their lights. They have the extreme low end and the extreme high end- neither of which I want. I think I might do a DIY bike headlight... We'll see.

I'll have more night rides through Wednesday I think- on top of 10-12 hour days at work- I think I'll get some good comp time after that though- so all's well.

Ciao!
Jeff

1 comment:

Doug said...

I see lots of wildlife during my commutes in Duluth. The best one happened about five years ago. I was riding west on Skyline by Enger golf course when a Black Bear ran across the road directly in front of me. I had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting it. That gets the adrenalin flowing.