Thursday, October 4, 2007

Maybe I'm just picky

OK, yea, I am picky, but I think I deserve to be- anything I buy I want to be right- well, I haven't been able to find the "right" rack trunk. So after a few months of backpack on back, I bought a rear rack, then after a few more months of backpack bungied to rear rack I bought the Sunlite Toploader 3 "fridge"
- it's insulated to boot- I figured, sure why not... It also has expandable side panniers- a nice addition so I don't need to buy panniers yet.

Anyhow, I'm still not happy with velcro straps holding it to the frame so I'm going to buy some quick clip buckles and strap the one end to the frame, the other I'll velcro to the bag and bam, simple, easy on / easy off connection system. We'll see how that goes :o) Here's my frankenbike- I think it looks like a taxi, specially when I'm on it in my yellow shell and black shorts.



Here's an ant's eye view of the eastern most part of the Lakewalk this morning.

4 comments:

Jerome said...

I've never seen a trunk bag with expandable panniers. That's a great idea. Did you buy it online? I'm in the same boat. I've picked up about 10 different ones at bike shops all over just to leave the store empty handed. I'm gonna see if I can find where to buy those. Thanks.

Jeff said...

Jerome,
I'm the kind of guy who has to have it now for a lot of things, this was one of those things, but yes, they sell online. They have a version 4 which is a bit bigger. I think other brands have the pop out panniers- not 100% on that though. If I could do over, I'd probably look at the Topeak QR or if they have another rack with the mtx system- like this bag would go on http://www.rei.com/product/710404

I want 0 effort in taking my bag with me- hence I'm looking for ways to attach quick clip things on mine.
HTH
Jeff

Doug said...

Those old style mountain bikes make great commuter bikes. For many years my only bike was my 1988 Specialized Rockhopper, now it's my Xtracycle. Very similar to your GF. I kinda like the yellow fenders.

fridrix said...

I use a little 1998 Hard Rock as my in-town car substitute. It has baskets.