Thursday, November 1, 2007

Burrr... First sub-freezing ride of the fall

My temperature on my computer said 31.9 on my way to work this morning, it felt pretty good to be riding at that temp and knowing I'm still here, still riding my bike like I said I would. It's odd seeing cars and trucks buzz past you, exhaust puffing out the tailpipes, seeing my breath as I pedal into work. That was the first time so far that my legs actually felt pretty cool. I've got a set of poly pants that I've used before, but they were too warm- I think in this temp zone, between the 30's and 40's is going to be challenging to keep just right on the comfort scale. The other hard problem is that if the wind is off the lake, it's very moist and thus much colder feeling.

At my last trip to REI, I bought a turtle fur turtle neck thingy. I've used it a few times now and it keeps my ears chin and neck very warm, but not too much so. But this morning I wanted to cover my mouth too, but it is two layers thick and I can't breath through it.

So I stopped by the LBS (Continental Ski and Bike) to find a thin balaclava. They had one by SmartWool. I'm already sold on SmartWool, I've got their socks and I swear by them so I figure this will be a great buy too! I'll probably use it tomorrow if it's below 40.

On another note, I tried to find the current Picture Tag photo from Boz, but was still unsuccessful. I've tried all along London road, superior st, 1st and 2nd, 21st ave (big hill rode up, not as bad as the last hill I went up :D ...) and woodland to Snively and didn't see it. I'm going to have to hunt inside the woodland neighborhood now.

I didn't know how much people would like the picture tag idea, but it's been going great from what I can tell so far. On a personal note, I've seen streets I've never been on and some of the most amazing houses in Duluth! And also, twice down Glenwood (a very fun hill to bike down :o) hehehe) thanks to picture tag. I've got to find this picture soon because I've got a great idea for the next picture!

Anyhow, that's all for now.

2 comments:

Bob said...

You were a few blocks below the target, but getting warm. Get it - getting warm !

Boz

Richard K said...

Smartwool = Awesome