Tuesday, November 20, 2007

It's good to be back.

Hello again. Yes, it's been a while since I last rode. Between out of town work trips, kids first birthdays and wife birthdays I've been a bit busy. If felt really good to ride again. Decent temps, no wind (really nice) and no snow yet (for better or worse depending on who you ask). I will ride again tomorrow but then probably not again until Monday. I'm planning a major house project for this long weekend.

We live in a house built in 1911. Sturcturally it's quite sound, but the walls on the second floor are all plaster and have little insulation. We're going to gut as much as we can and add insulation and Sheetrock the whole place. It will be nice to get rid of the plaster. I don't like painting it, hanging anything on it, or fixing it when it cracks. I'm much more the drywall kind of guy.

Speaking of fixing stuff; last I rode my rear derailleur would not give me any of my lowest gears. It may have had something to do with the layers of compacted grease, the twigs stuck all in there, and all the sand in the bearings, but that's just a guess. Last night I completely took apart my rear wheel, cleaned it up and re-greased the bearings- worked much better today.

I like the thought of an internal hub and was pretty discouraged when we had the slush and snow and I was already experiencing mechanical problems, but knowing just how gunked up my wheel was, it's no wonder why it didn't work.
See this picture shows some of the ick...



In my 12 hours of photography picture taking, I shot this image


and a few days later was contacted by a Montreal shipping company who, I think, owns that boat. They asked if they could use the picture in their monthly newsletter. I just thought that was pretty cool!

Anyhow, have a great turkey day!

1 comment:

Bob said...

Good to see you're back, and good luck with the project. I'm doing the final sand on mine tonite, then prime and paint tomorrow. Then shop for a 50" HDTV. That's the fun part!
Boz