Thursday, January 17, 2008

What's wrong with me?

I get that question a lot lately, riding in the cold we've had the last few days gets a person a lot of attention. As I enter the building at work I get all kinds of funny comments, all good. As I'm riding up the elevator with helmet and bag and other stuff in hand I get the "you ride bike in this?" and today a DTA bus driver opened his window at the stop light to have a chat with me. It's kind of fun to get that attention. I'm sure tomorrow will be no different. Ahh, tomorrow, when the "cold" is supposed to come. I just looked at the temps and they're about what they were today so no biggie (actually, about -2 or so), however, if I were going for a ride Saturday morning I'm sure I'd be adding another layer as the low is going to be around -15 without windchill. Burrr :)

Here's another meaning to my blog title today...
As I got home this evening I felt very weak, even to the point of being shaky. I've been trying to eat better but I think the fruit and veggies and low-fat lunches I eat haven't been giving me enough gas for my ride home. I don't know if that's all it is or if it could be something else. I'm not tired by any means, not breathing hard or anything like that, just weak feeling like I've got no more energy. Maybe a snickers before I head out the door? :) I have been loosing weight though, which is something I've been wanting to do, I'm @ 182 now, about 13 less then when I started riding and I haven't done anything drastic (unless you count rinding 12 miles a day in sub-freezing temps drastic). I hope to get to 175 or so and I'd be quite pleased with that.

Sorry for not having more posts and pics lately. My wife started classes again this week so I've been quite busy with work and house stuff and haven't had much time on the computer. I am also missing my other camera I take sometimes so I don't have to haul our more expensive one around with me so when I find that I'll probably take more (plus it's freakin cold out and I don't want to be standin around snapin pictures).

Well, it's almost 10 pm, time for the news then bed... Night all.
Jeff

4 comments:

Bob said...

I know what you mean, I've been feling the same way for the last couple of weeks. It feels like I'm fighting a cold every morning when I get up. Sleep doesn't seem to help.
Boz

Jeff C. said...

The last 2 days I had a sore throat, I've been eating 4 oranges a day and taking 3 vitamin c pills, 500mg each I believe, at night, no sore throat today.
Jeff

Doug said...

I got in the habit of having a carb snack about an hour before I leave work everyday. If I don't I seem to have that weak feeling you describe. It's like my blood sugar level drops around the time I head home. The snack seems to help. This time of year I always pay attention to my level of hydration as well. You can dehydrate quickly in this dry air we have right now. That can give you a sluggish feeling as well.

SD_pedalpower said...

Doug's right about the hydration. It's the biggest thing that brings me down in the winter as I forget to drink during the day at work. My indoor training time I usually feel refreshed after it. But I'm sucking down about 32 oz. of water in an hour.