Thursday, February 28, 2008

And that's why Monster sponsors downhill / freeride, not road biking...

There I was, 2 pm Wednesday afternoon, sitting at my desk trying hard to continue to work debugging a difficult problem when it hit me. I needed some caffeine. My co-worker loves Caribou Coffee's Tea so we walked over to canal park. Typically I'd get my fix there too, a Turtle Mocha- ohh those are good... But today was different- I wanted more, the Turtle Mocha was too small for me today and I didn't feel in the mood for something hot. What did I decide on? My other caffeine fix- Monster L0-Carb Energy drinks. These are the best energy drink I've ever had- hands down. The first attempt at scoring some failed, the ICO connected to the DQ was a no-go luckily there's another store right next door. Bingo- Monster L0-Carb XXL 23.75 ounces of caffeinated goodness (I would have got the BFC if the had them).

Within about 30 minutes of cracking that open I was doing great! The clouds opened and the sun was shining, angels were playing harps overhead- it was great (ok, a little over-exaggerating there).

Easily by 4 pm the drink was consumed. I figured I had 1 and a half hours to drink a lot of water to try to clean out my system in preparation for the ride home. Not that it's far, but being amped up on caffeine and then riding home by bike can cause problems. By the time I reached my door I could hardly stand and my hands were shaking, it was all I could to do to get my boots and jacket off and find some milk and a yogurt and a banana.

Needless to say, you don't see Monster sponsoring many endurance type sports, sorry, riding a bike down a hill does not count. I love Monster and I would love if they made a drink for endurance type sports but for now, I'll keep its use limited to keeping me awake on long Sunday drives :)

This was another funny post about Monster... http://www.theimpulsivebuy.com/wordpress/2005/09/21/monster-energy-xxl/

Image from http://www.bevnet.com/

P.S. they "may" sponsor such events, but not to my knowledge...

1 comment:

bikingbrady said...

That's okay...as long as AMP sponsors road bikers, I'm okay :-)