Friday, February 22, 2008

Ugghhh

It's been a long, long week, or so it sure seemed. I only rode a few times this week, late nights at the office and meetings up with my wife to run errands let me leave the bike at work overnight. Today I took the car to work, had to bring it to the repair shop for some warranty work. Even if I had wanted to ride today I couldn't have as bike is only mostly together right now. On my Wednesday or Thursday ride in (don't recall what day) the temps were about 9 below zero and I felt like my bike was really working against me that morning, I barely broke 11 mph, even on the slight downhills. I felt like I was pushing sludge in the rear wheel and sure enough, I was.

My bike had been quite overdue for a cleaning for a while, but what put it over the top was when I ran out of tri-flow spray lube and went to the store to not find any and, instead, bought Justice Brothers Chain Lube. This stuff is like tar practically- not suited for cold weather use by any means. My back end was so coated with black oily dirty grungy slime that I had to clean it. I took most of the rear apart and gave it a good cleaning with engine degreaser- worked pretty well. In putting everything back together though, I had an slight problem. my cable for my rear derailleur got all messed up and frayed so I decided I'll get some new cables and see how that works out. I'll have to find time to finish working on it this weekend though (which is going to be quite busy already) otherwise I won't have a way to get to work Monday.

I've got the original '96 grip shifts on the bike, the rear is a 7 speed and it's hard to find 7 speed parts. I would like to upgrade but don't have extra right now and the 7 suited me just fine. Now I have to figure out how to re-wire my grip shift with the new cable.

I also plan to bring my bike to the car wash to give it a good cleaning to get the chemicals off (I know about high pressure water so don't bother :o) ...)
Should be like new come Monday morning!

Have a good weekend everyone!
Jeff

2 comments:

Doug said...

It's a lot of work to keep a bike running smoothly this time of year. And the worst is yet to come through March and April as the temps warm and the snow melts. The roads will be wet from snow melt and all that sand and salt on the road will end up on your bike. Hard to believe, but it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Bob said...

I second Doug's assessment- I'm glad I raod my Campground bike Sunday instead of my road bike. Roads I thought would be dry were not. And alot rougher. But it was fun anyway.