Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Bicycle Lights

If you're a commuter or you like to ride trails (or both) and you find yourself out at night you know you need to have a good, reliable light system for your bike. Lights can be categorized in two lump categories, those that are for you to see, and those that are for you to be seen. There are plenty of lights out there that allow motorists to see you better; most now are led and have flashing modes to make it easier to catch the attention of the wary motorist.

I've got four lights on my bike, a really nice tail light from Planet Bike, the Super Flash, a Serfas 1 watt led headlight with a blinking mode, the HL-1, a Cateye non-blinking headlight, the HL-EL520, and a homemade diy 50 watt halogen headlight.

You may think that 3 headlights are overkill, but I usually only have one or two on at a time. The Serfas is my main light, the Cateye is backup and the 50 watt diy is for when the going gets tough. Well, yesterday my rear light batteries died so I used my Serfas's to replace them and then I found out my diy was not working for some reason. After all that I decided it's time for a real powerful solution for a primary headlight that would work on or off road. The trouble is I can't decide which one I want as they can get quite pricey quite quickly.

Introducing MTBR, the mountain bike product reviews. Every year they do a light review and I looked to the 2008 review for help choosing a new headlight. After looking through the reviews I think I'll get the NiteRider MiNewt.X2. The price fits my range and it's got a great review. Thanks MTBR for helping take the guesswork out of buying a light!

Ride Safe!
Biking Duluth

1 comment:

Ike said...

May I suggest a Fenix as a back up?
200 lumens on two rechargeable or regular AA's for under $60.