Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Single Speed Conversion

Long time everyone, thought I'd write to ask for some input. Last night I did a complete freehub dismantle and clean- pawls kept sticking when the temps were around 10 below or colder. So, after doing all this, I decided I want to convert to a single speed- not a fixed- just a single (or double... (or triple?))...
So, here's what I've got- a shimano 7 speed cassette and in the front my chain rings are not removable. I'd like to go with a Surly Singleator, but do I need to remove some of my rear cassette and put in spacers or do I need to buy some other stuff?

Another option is to go with 3 speeds like what Kent has done.

So, what do I need- that is the question. I'm slightly clueless when it comes to number of teeth, chain length, bla bla bla... :) Help me out.

3 comments:

Tone Coughlin said...

just figure out what gears you want and install a bmx chain, they're really cheap ($8). even if you have a little cross over action the chain picks it up.

Doug said...

Is this on your Fisher with the vertical drop-outs. If so, I'd consider a Paul Melvin chain tensioner. Unlike with the Surly Singleator, with the Melvin you could still use two or maybe three chain rings in front. Giving you a 2 or 3 speed. Kent's set-up requires you to stop and move the chain over by hand. Not really practical unless you're climbing and descending on long mountain passes. A Surly spacer kit will allow you to convert your freehub to a single speed. Email if you need further help.

Doug said...

Keep in mind, before you go to all the trouble and expense, that SS freewheels have pawls too.