Monday, April 13, 2009

What to do...

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted last; mostly because I've been fairly busy. I watch the kids every day now and haven't had the chance to ride but two times in the last two months. It's horrible, I know :o) but spring is here and I'm all amped up to start riding again every day. My wife is going to help me relieve some stress by getting out on the bike. That's good for everyone!

On the job front: I'm still unemployed but it's ok still, for now at least. We're staying afloat and should have another 7 months in the clear- that will be pushing it, but it's do-able. I really hope I find something in that time, hopefully sooner but I am looking forward to a summer off with the kids and wife!!! Beach here we come!

I've been thinking a lot lately about what I want to do for a job. I have been doing technology stuff for the last 13 years, and while I like it, I'm not looking forward to doing any more software programming. I want something more. What I really want is to figure out what I'm passionate about and want to do for a long time to come. My wife said you don't have to be passionate about your job, you can be passionate about something in your off-time, such as charity work and such. Work can just be the means to fuel your passion.
Well, I think that's partially true, but I would like to find something that makes me wake up each morning excited to get to work. So I've been doing a lot of soul searching, trying to think what could do that for me, what could I do that I would just LOVE... I haven't figured that out yet, and I'm not sure that many people have, or will.

Currently I keep coming back to wanting to find something with an environmental focus, such as solar and wind energy and energy efficiencies in houses and stuff like that. But I don't really "know" anything about that kind of stuff, so here I sit, wanting and you know what they say about wanting, want in one hand and **** in the other and see which fills up first.

So, I'm a bit lost lately, trying to find direction. Maybe a long time in the saddle along the mighty Lake Superior will help clear my head.

2 comments:

rlove2bike said...

I am not one of them...but I really admire people that are able to work in the field they are passionate about. Sometimes, and probably most times, it involves making sacrifices. We wish you Good Luck in whatever you chose.

Doug said...

I've always been jealous of people that have a passion and find a career related to it. I've never had an intense passion for any one career. I'm still hoping. Right now I do work I feel good about, but isn't my life's calling. If I could find something else I like I'd walk away from my current position tomorrow.