Thursday, November 12, 2009

OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT NOISE???

It's driving me crazy! Just ask my wife how much little unknown ticks, clicks, knocks or other odd noises drive me nuts in the car. It's even worse for me on the bike. So far I've had my bottom bracket serviced, I replace my chain and cleaned my rear derailleur and last night I took apart my freehub and noticed it was cracked. Somehow, I don't think that's the whole problem. I think there's more. So, tonight, I'm going to swap out pedals and check my cleats (which I won't need tomorrow anyhow if I change cause I'll be changing to platforms). It used to be such a quiet bike, I don't know what happened to it, was I a bad parent, too much tv?

Here's a cool site to help identify all the weird noises we all have had. http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html Hope it might help you someday!

6 comments:

John said...

The bottom of my Sidi shoes use to click because were my speedplay cleats screw in. There extra screw in, that weren't being used and they would click on every revolotion of the pedals so I removed them and the noise is gone.

Biking Duluth said...

Alas, I switched to platforms and it's still making the noise. I think it's a chain issue. Thanks for the tip though! (I do need new cleats too- crank brothers, they're pretty worn down).

Boz said...

Frame crack? Just a thought.

bllana20 said...

The Duluth Air Show is the largest air show in the State of Minnesota. It returns with one of the largest static displays in the midwest. The NASA education center, along with the Kids Zone, Sound Stage, and Vetrans Area are larger than ever for 2010. There is something for everyone at the Duluth Airshow. Duluth Event

mowestusa said...

I had a click like that on my 17 year old Trek 830. I decided to attack it by taking the spider and sprockets completely apart, clean, grease every thread, and reassemble. Then I took apart the BB and cleaned, and greased that up with lots of grease. After everything went back together it was super smooth and super quiet. Now I believe my issue was in the BB, but it sure didn't hurt to disassemble the sprockets. This was the first time in 17 years, and I had dirt that was so stuck on it was like tar. I hope you find the cause.

The Old Bag said...

Tighten-up your seatpost collar and rail bolts -- creaks can be ventriloquists, it seems.